Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Grocery Game

Ok, so I love shopping. I get this addiction and love for it from my Grandma Kathryn, when my Grandma goes shopping good luck keeping up with her, she is faster than anything :). We also love to buy things CHEAP. Well being in seminary and on a budget (or trying to be on budget) you can't go shopping all the time even when items are cheap unless you need them, well food is something you need. So this past summer I started something called the "grocery game" (http://www.grocerygame.com/). This website has an automated system that generates a list for you of the deals that are that week and which coupons to use. It will give you three categories to buy: Black items-do not buy, too expensive Blue Items- buy and stock up on, and Green times, which = FREE. Well this is a pretty simple game and pretty addicting. I buy all my groceries and toiletries for about $55 a week, which is not too bad to feed us. This game has been blessing for us, it fills my "need" to shop and allows to me to buy groceries, which I am odd I love to do b/c I love to cook!

This is how the game works. When you go to Krogers or Albertsons (in DFW area) they triple and double the face value of the coupons. This means that a .30 cent coupon really = .90 cents! They will double .40-.50 and triple up to .39 cents! Some items I get a lot are Ragu, when its on sale for $1.00 I use my .25 coupon, which triples to = .75 , which makes the Ragu= only a .25! I have cans of .10 tomaotes (Red Gold Brand, very good!), free tomato sauce, pasta for free or under .50, free instant potaotes, free Soft Soap, free frozen vegtables and so on! I get cereal on a usual price of $1.00 or less a box. (Name brand) I buy all items Name Brand, it is crazy, we do not have one thing really anymore of a store brand!

Last week my friend Amanda and I went to Albertsons and got a total of 20 boxes each of Simple Harvest Oatmeal, usual price is $4.49, for FREE, she has given some to the church and kept a little for herself. We currently have some boxes left to give to those who ask!

Now some items we have is "un-healthy" we get FREE Chex Mix, we get Jasons favorite Taquitos for pretty cheap, and we buy frozen pizzas on sale for a very quick easy convenient meal :). I also get Tostino Pizza rolls for pretty cheap too (.20 a box or Free), and these make a good "mid-night" craving snack for Jason, cheaper than Taco Bell! :)

We bought a deep freeze about 2 years ago when we were doing Angel Food (http://www.angelfoodministries.com/), and this has been a great purchase for us. When there is a huge meat sale I am able to buy the family packs, bag them up and put them in the freezer! With all the savings I am able to buy REALLY good Steaks! :) yummo!!

So soon I will take pictures and you will see how we will never starve :). And how you are always welcome to come for dinner b/c we have plenty!

So this is my addiction right now, I will share with you soon my CVS Savings and more of my Kroger/Albertsons savings :)

~Tonya :)

0 comments: