Friday, December 19, 2008

The Legacy of a Man...

A week ago today, a very close family friend passed away. He had battled non-Hodgkin lymphoma (stage 4) (I believe this is the accurate diagnosis), for about a year and a half or more. I grew up with this family, I remember playing barbies with Mel, and Lance and Nathan producing their own show "My World". (I was the behind the scenes cameraman and Mel was the commercial gal) We had grown apart throughout the years (different grade levels and etc.) but I believe we all knew that if we needed each other we were there.

I will not claim to know Eldon on a very intimate level. I knew Eldon as Mel's dad (and Nate's) and Lorna's husband. Still knowing this very little of him, he was still the most happy guy you could meet. Many times you realize as you grow older, you wish you could of gotten to know somebody on a more personal level (talk about life, etc). Eldon, would of been one of those men, that if not me, even if my husband could of known him, I think would of affected him in many ways.

At the celebration of life, I got to hear of a man I never knew. I got to hear of a good friend, a wonderful colleague, a man of many deep discussions about life and faith, and somebody who was there for you when you needed him the most. The letters written from his son, daughter, and wife spoke words of love, admiration and thankfulness. But the neatest thing to hear of this mans life, was his passion for God.

I always knew Eldon was a Christian,we attended the same church and lead music at the church us kids grew up at. When we (both families) left that church, we looked for a new church home, and both families ended up at the same church. To my knowledge, our dads, attended the most. I know my dad always looked forward to each Sunday morning getting to say HI to Eldon and catch up on the week. They would according to my dad, sit by each other or behind or in front of one another (depending on who got there on time :) ) The pastor who spoke, spoke about the time when they were colleagues, and he could tell that something was different about Eldon, later to find out that something different, was the evidence of Christ in his life. Eldon had a daily quiet time, something that his parents embedded in him. My dad said that every Sunday Eldon was able to be there, he was always taking notes, as my dad said "he was a student of the word." From what was said of Eldon, he knew who his God was. What an amazing testimony. The testimony of his wife, in the letter she wrote to him to say "goodbye" was amazing. Lorna, also I was amazed by and challenged by. In her letter she said "sweetheart, you've got the best retirement package." To know that she misses him, I can't imagine how much, but to the point that she too, knows where her husband is, and would know that he is with our Heavenly Father, what a testimony. Thank you Lorna, for the strength that you wrote in that letter. The words said about this man were words, that many would want said of them. But, the words said about Eldon, were words of truth.

This celebration of life was truly an amazing celebration. Many tears were shed for this amazing man of God. His son promising to go on that motorcycle trip next Spring, his daughter saying "I don't want to say goodbye daddy", and his wife saying just the word "sweetheart" almost brings tears to my eyes as I write this. I cannot imagine the pain and grieving they are going through, and honestly, I do not want to ever experience it.

In the pamphlet given, in the inside was a scanned written note of Eldon's that had the verse: Psalm 29:4 "One thing I have asked from the Lord, that I shall seek: That I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to mediate in His temple." After this verse, were the words "This is what I want...3/11/2007 ELR" Eldon knew his God, no matter what trial he was facing, he kept his faith and he fought the good fight. The legacy of this one man has challenged me in my own faith, I want to know the God I worship on Sundays and throughout the week. I want to truly say that "This is what I want" when I read Ps. 29:4. I have a long journey ahead of me. Thank you God, for letting this man be part of my childhood that one day, his life would be one that I would like my own life to resemble.

After the celebration of life, my husband looked at me and said "I have never been so impressed by one mans testimony." This truly sums it up, I know that I have left some things out, but this is what I felt compelled to share. The legacy of a man, can truly change your life and challenge it for the better. Jason and I are going to strive to have faith like Eldon and Lorna both had and have, faith like Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

God Bless.

(This was published by permission of Eldon's family)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You make me so proud! Love Mama Curry